Friday, January 17, 2014

Checking in: post-move

So I'm sitting in my new living room. I love it :) Just taking a break from unpacking.

The last few days have been, to say the least, stressful. We ended up having to move one day earlier than we had planned; so instead of moving on Thursday (yesterday), we moved on Wednesday. I thought that would be the most stressful part, but I had forgotten how much work is involved with unpacking and setting up a new house.  There are many stressful parts.  I'm just trying to ride the wave.  We will get there!

 We had about 95 of those plastic bins/boxes, as well as a few cardboard boxes. We've unpacked about 30. Obviously it's lots of work; especially trying to find a spot for everything. We're finding ourselves getting rid of more stuff (in addition to all the stuff we threw out/gave away last fall in hopes to declutter our place.)  All this effort is worth it though.  I'm just a bit impatient.  And I'm nesting so the urge to "get this house ready" is strong.   

We have long-term plans for this house, but we also have short-term and immediate plans. We're replacing the furnace (next week) and getting some new additional cabinets and counter top in the kitchen. We're, ok *I'm*, hoping to get the cabinets done asap so I can have the extra storage. Actually, the guy who will be doing the cabinets is here discussing with hubby as I write this.

The teenager is adapting well. The dogs too. Big weight off my shoulders.

And to finish, here are the things that I love the most about the house so far after living in it for 2 days:

- the house is actually quite warm and comfortable.  This has to be the best surprise yet.  We were expecting it to be cold since it's a century-old home, but we were wrong.  It is very cozy.  So happy about this!  Long-term goal is to get it as energy-efficient as possible.

- the air is good too.  I noticed that I'm less stuffed up in the morning than our previous home!  Not sure why that is, because this is an older house, but it is what it is and I'm not complaining.

- this house not only has good bones, but it has a good energy too.  This is very important to me.  It's something we felt right away when we visited though.  So it's not a surprise.  I'm just happy that I still feel the same way.

- oh, and I love my new fireplace :)

10 comments:

  1. I'm so happy to hear you're settling well! Your house seems to tick a lot of boxes (pun not intended, I only saw it when reading my sentence, I swear). :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on being new home owners! That is so exciting. Take it easy and don't stress , everything will get done eventually!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Exciting! Hope y'all are loving the new place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hopefully you'll be able to feel completely relaxed soon once all the unpacking is done. I am still so excited for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you love your new home! :) It sounds like a perfect, cozy place!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations!!! So glad you love your new home. Hope you are getting settled :). We just moved, too and are looking forward to being unpacked and settled. Silly me scheduled a housewarming for this weekend. Starting to regret that move...

    ReplyDelete
  7. congrats on making the big move. and good luck with unpacking - I know how that is the worst part!!
    -- jackie @ jade and oak

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a wonderful home! I actually prefer old homes to new ones. They have character!! Have "fun" unpacking. hahaha I know it's so stressful, I move a lot.

    ReplyDelete